Jane Beckwith collection of MX Missile Materials
Scope and Contents note
Collection includes materials related to the debate on the placement of MX missile construction sites in Delta, Utah. Included in collection: survey done by Congressman Dan Marriott and the conclusion of the survey, newspaper surveys, magazine articles, maps, flyers, information packets, newspaper articles, and opinions of Utah citizens. Topics covered include: nuclear war with Russia, MX effects on agriculture and desert ecosystems, and MX effects on local ways of life.
- 1960 - 2021
- Beckwith, Jane, 1947- (Person)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access note
Access to the collection is open with assistance from the archivist or staff.
Conditions Governing Use note
Open for Research. Copyright for offical University records is held by Utah Valley University, all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Jane Beckwith joined with other people from the community of Delta, UT to protest the possible MX Missile Project that was to be placed in a large section of the Nevada and Utah desert. Her sister Sue Beckwith Dutson, editor and publisher of the Millard County Chronicle, was very active in spreading information and protesting the government’s nuclear project. Jane was an English teacher at Delta High School Teacher.
Delta had been experiencing social and economic changes because of the Intermountain Power Project that was gearing up at about the same time as MX. Community leaders opposed to MX consisted of doctors, teachers, and farmers who all believed the racetrack deployment was mis-guided and should be stopped.
In 1982 Jane began a project with her journalism classes studying the history of the World War II Topaz Japanese Internment Camp, located 16 miles northwest of Delta. That project led to the construction of the Topaz Museum located in Delta.
11.5 Linear Feet (11 boxes (7 boxes, 3 Flat Box 1, 1 Flat Box 4).)
Collection consists of materials related to the debate on the placement of MX missile construction sites in Delta, Utah.
Imposed order by type and then chronologically.
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Acknowledgment of Bias and Harmful Content
The Sutherland Archives recognizes there are materials in our collections that may be offensive or harmful. Materials may contain language or depictions that are racist, sexist, Eurocentric, ableist, homophobic, etc. We present such materials unaltered to preserve context and to present a complete historical record. Sutherland Archives staff is making efforts to update our finding aids to acknowledge offensive content.
- Beckwith, Jane, 1947-
- Brochures Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Delta (Utah)
- Dutson, Sue (Susan Beckwith), 1943-2014
- Hercules Incorporated
- Letters to the editor Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- MX Information Center Subject Source: Local sources
- Maps Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Marriot, Dan (David Daniel), 1939-
- Pacifists Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Surveys Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Utah Peace Test Subject Source: Local sources
- Utah--History--20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women pacifists Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding aid prepared by Rebekah Westrup, Archives Specialist
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- 27 January 2021: Materials added; photographs, newsclippings, gov't doc, letters, a t-shirt, new series of handwritten notes. Biographical note changed by request of Beckwith. Series arrangement note changed. Extent changed.