J. Marvin Higbee papers
Scope and Contents note
This collection consists of materials collected in the Office of the President during the administrations of Wilson W. Sorensen and J. Marvin Higbee. It includes: materials related to name changes to the college; personnel rosters; materials related to the search for a president in 1982 and 1987; salary schedules; President Sorenson's emeritus and retirement recognitions; maps of the campus; school songs; school newspapers; materials related to the Board of Regents; materials related to the Institutional Council; materials related to legislation affecting Utah Technical College at Provo; materials related to the student body; awards; history of the school logo; inventories, the history of Utah Technical College at Provo; materials related to accreditation, internal evaluations and self-evaluations; and a master plan.
- circa 1941-1991
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access note
Access to the collection is open with assistance from the archivist or staff.
Conditions Governing Use note
Open for research. Copyright for official University records is held by Utah Valley University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
J. Marvin Higbee, formerly the president of Snow College, became Utah Valley's third president. President Higbee expanded the college curriculum during his tenure and oversaw the difficult transition from an institute (Utah Technical Institute) to a community college (Utah Valley Community College) in 1987. Also in 1987, an Associate of Arts degree was formalized through his efforts. He saw the need in the community for a college that would not only meet the needs of the trades but would also expand into the liberal arts and more technical fields.
2.5 Linear Feet (5 boxes)
This collection consists of materials collected in the Office of the President during the administrations of Wilson W. Sorensen and J. Marvin Higbee.
Materials have been arranged into series by subeject/material type. Materials within series have been arranged chronologically when possible.
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Gift of the Office of the President
Acknowledgment of Bias and Harmful Content
The Sutherland Archives recognizes there are materials in our collections that may be offensive or harmful. Materials may contain language or depictions that are racist, sexist, Eurocentric, ableist, homophobic, etc. We present such materials unaltered to preserve context and to present a complete historical record. Sutherland Archives staff is making efforts to update our finding aids to acknowledge offensive content.
- Central Utah Vocational School--History
- Central Utah Vocational School--Presidents
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Higbee, J. Marvin (Joseph Marvin), 1932-
- Sorensen, Wilson W.
- Student life and customs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Texts Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Utah Technical College at Provo/Orem--History
- Utah Technical College at Provo/Orem--Presidents
- Utah Trade Technical Institute--History
- Utah Trade Technical Institute--Presidents.
- Utah Valley University--Presidents
- Utah Valley University-History
- Finding aid prepared by Aimee Bastarache, Assistant Archivist
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- 12 December 2019: Corrections to EAD