Bruce Plenk Papers
Scope and Contents note
This collection consists of materials collected by Bruce Plenk. It includes personal papers; materials related to his involvement in peace activism; Vietnam demonstration at the University of Utah, litigation against the MX nuclear missiles being stored in Utah, and his work with March for the Americas demonstrations; writings and other sources; newspaper clippings; photographs; court documents; letters; brochures; and posters.
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access note
Access to the collection is open with assistance from the archivist or staff.
Conditions Governing Use note
Open for research. Copyright for official University records is held by Utah Valley University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Bruce Plenk is a lawyer and peace activist. He was born and raised in Salt Lake City Utah. He attended Williams College in Massachusetts. He earned his masters in education and juris doctorate from the University of Utah. While opposing the Vietnam War, was arrested for attacking the ROTC Building at University of Utah. Worked against the Canyonlands nuclear waste dump and the MX Missile and the Nevada Nuclear Test Site. He was Solar Energy Coordinator at City of Tucson from 2007 to 2013.
8.75 Linear Feet (15 boxes (14 boxes, 1 flat box 3))
This collection consists of materials collected by Bruce Plenk including materials related to his involvement in peace activism, newspaper clippings, court documents, correspondence, brochures, and posters.
Papers are arranged by topic or location. The only changes made were to keep papers grouped together by topic or location that were not already grouped together.
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Gift of Bruce Plenk.
Acknowledgment of Bias and Harmful Content
The Sutherland Archives recognizes there are materials in our collections that may be offensive or harmful. Materials may contain language or depictions that are racist, sexist, Eurocentric, ableist, homophobic, etc. We present such materials unaltered to preserve context and to present a complete historical record. Sutherland Archives staff is making efforts to update our finding aids to acknowledge offensive content.
- Brigham Young University
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Discrimination in housing Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- El Salvador
- Equal Rights Coalition of Utah
- Hercules Incorporated
- Hill, Joe, 1879-1915
- Humanitarian assistance Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- MX (Weapons system) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- National Lawyers Guild
- North, Oliver
- Nuclear disarmament Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Owens, Wayne, 1937-2002
- Pacifists Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Public welfare--Law and legislation Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Radioactive wastes Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sex discrimination against women Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- University of Utah
- Utah Valley University
- Yengich, Ronald J.
- Finding aid prepared by Andrew Juan Cano, student intern
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- 2022 March: Edited for description and organization errors; Amy Roberts, Archives Specialist, and Blake MacDonald, Archives Aide.