Skip to main content

Campus building dedication materials collection

 Collection
Identifier: AR 370 .12

Scope and Contents note

This collection contains dedication programs, building dedication booklets, building groundbreaking programs, and other information related to campus buildings.

Dates

  • 1963-2017

Creator

Language of Materials

English

Conditions Governing Access note

Access to the collection is open with assistance from the archivist or staff.

Conditions Governing Use note

Open for research. Copyright for Official University records is held by Utah Valley University; all other copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.

Biographical/Historical note

Utah Valley University was established in 1941 as Central Utah Vocational School (CUVS) with the primary function of providing war production training. CUVS was part of the Provo School District located in south Provo. The institution received a state appropriation in March 1945 of $50,000 to operate for the 1945-1947 biennium. In 1947, the school received funding as a permanent state institution. A new site for the school was acquired on University Avenue in Provo in 1948; in 1952, the state appropriated funding for the first construction on that site. As enrollments grew, the state acquired over 185 acres in southwest Orem and the first building was completed in 1977. Today, the University's facilities consist of a combined total of 312 acres with 46 buildings with campuses in Orem, Provo, and Heber City and property at Thanksgiving Point in Lehi. In 1963, the school's name changed to Utah Trade Technical Institute to reflect its growing role in technical training. The name again changed in 1967 to Utah Technical College at Provo. The institution was approved in 1966 to grant Associate of Applied Science degrees, in 1967 to offer general education courses, in 1971 to grant Associate of Science degrees (discontinued in 1974 and reinstated in 1981), and in 1987 to grant Associate of Arts degrees. With its expanded degree offerings, the institution's name changed again to Utah Valley Community College in 1987. In 1993, the institution's name changed to Utah Valley State College and the mission was expanded to include the offering of bachelor's degrees. On July 1, 2008, the institution underwent another mission and name change to Utah Valley University and began offering master degree programs. Throughout its history, UVU has responded to its service region (Utah, Wasatch and Summit counties) population changes and business/industry needs. This responsiveness is evidenced in its mission, program offering, degree level, and enrollment changes.

Extent

0.5 Linear Feet (1 box)

Abstract

This collection contains dedication programs, building dedication booklets, building groundbreaking programs, and other information related to campus buildings.

Arrangement note

Materials arranged by date.

Immediate Source of Acquisition note

Gift of Wilson W. Sorensen and others.

Related Archival Materials note

AR 102 Wilson W. Sorensen collection

Acknowledgment of Bias and Harmful Content

The Sutherland Archives recognizes there are materials in our collections that may be offensive or harmful. Materials may contain language or depictions that are racist, sexist, Eurocentric, ableist, homophobic, etc. We present such materials unaltered to preserve context and to present a complete historical record. Sutherland Archives staff is making efforts to update our finding aids to acknowledge offensive content.

Status
Completed
Author
Finding aid prepared by Aimee Bastarache, Assistant Archivist
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Fulton Library George Sutherland Archives Repository

Contact:
800 West University Parkway
MS 145
Orem Utah 84058 United States